Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Blog Post- Coauthoring

There were a some words that I didn't know in this reading or I had some idea what they meant but were explained in the reading. 
1.Theoretical Thinking- didn't know at first and then was explained and also explained that adolescents use this all the time
2. Theoretical Imagination- again didn't know what it was at first and then explained that youth use this from pulling together a history of information from multiple sources to come up with possibilities that might happen. Adolescent youth use trial and error and use past history of situations they have been in or seen to draw assumptions of present situations.
3. Construction of Adolescence- This is the process in which adolescents are always constructing their lives.
4. Reciprocal Transformation
5. Applied Developmentalists- Both terms are shaped in their our professional development through the nature of their connections with the younger people they teach and support.

Those were really the only words that I didn't know what they were but then were explained more in depth in the article.  I really enjoyed the stuff on Vygotsky and I didn't put any of those words on my list because I already know what they were and what they meant from when I took Educational Psychology class.  It was a good refresher about what he is about and the Zone Of Proximal Development.  This is meeting kids where they are at and not making education or teachings too difficult or too easy for them to do.  Also scaffolding and helping kids get to solutions with some help but again not making it too easy. 

My List of People who Coauthored my Life
1. Mom (Cathy)
2. Dad (Bruce Sr)
3. Brother (Bruce Jr)
4. Wife (Jackie)
5. Gary (Friend)
6. George (Friend/Mentor)
7. Mrs. Goldberg (Mean Teacher)
8. Scott (Teacher)
9. Uncle (Walter)
10. Chris (Friend)

This list is just 10 people but there are many more, but these are the 10 that have helped me more than anyone.  There are 2 that I am going to pick because one cant go down without the other.  They are George and Gary.  Gary is one of my best friends and has always been there for me and we have been friends since we were 8 years old.  George was our mentor and friend.  Gary and I would go to the boys and girls club everyday after school and George was one of the staff members there and he would do everything with us and everything for us.  He taught us how to play basketball, how to play baseball, how to have fun, how to make new friends.  As we grew up he taught us how to be active in our community and he started the Keystone Club at the boys and girls club and we would go out into the Oakland Beach community and do clean ups and plant community gardens and fix up the parks and ball fields in the area.  As we went off to middle school and high school he became our teacher and then our coach and after that he was just our friend.  One place in Oakland Beach was the run down basketball court at the end of Oakland Beach Avenue and how it was run down and was really a hot spot for vandalism and crime and George wanted to fix it up and rebuild it.  George passed away unexpectedly and Gary and I were very upset, not only did we both lose a friend we lost a father figure and for Gary this hit hard because we buried both of Gary's parents while we were in high school.  So Gary and I wanted to do something to honor our friend and our mentor and we decided to rebuild the basketball court and fix the park area and give kids in the community a place to go.  Basically the Keystone Club became a non profit.  George and Gary are the reason I am so active in my community and will continue to be active in my community to honor him.  The video I attached is the video that we used to raise awareness of what we were doing and why we were doing it.  It also helped to raise funds for the project. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csAjYcPg4Vk


4 comments:

  1. This is awesome!. I am glad that Gary and you decided to rebuilt the basketball court in honor of George.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the video and how supportive your friends are! You have a great circle around you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mike, thanks for sharing with us! I thought your blog was really helpful in writing my own blog!
    Take care, Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so awesome that you have been able to carry on his legacy and pass on that gift to many more children who need it. You were lucky to have him as a mentor growing up and many children will be lucky to now have you!

    ReplyDelete